Development Action for Mobilization & Emancipation (DAMEN) Pakistan is a non-profit, non-governmental organization established in May 1992 working for alternative development at grass-root level in Pakistan. It is an alliance of social scientists, philanthropists and professionals from various fields having significant experience of working with NGOs in and outside Pakistan.
Our Vision: DAMEN Pakistan visualizes “Development” as a process of capacity building of the people in order to empower them to solve their socio-economic problems through collective action and their own participation.
Our Mission: Mission of DAMEN Pakistan is to make the people of marginalized communities understand the true notion of development and build their capacity, which would enable them to organize themselves into groups for collective action leading towards self-reliance and empowerment.
Long-term Goals: The long-term goals of DAMEN Pakistan are of sustainable development through capacity building of the communities and make them self-reliant in overcoming their problems through collective action.
- Strengthening of DAMEN Pakistan’s four pronged strategy comprising of:
- Non-formal Education/Health Services.
- Livestock Extension Service Program.
- Training Capacity Building and Skill development of community action groups.
- Research, networking and documentation.
- Expansion in the scope and diversifying its areas of operation. Enhancing the capacity of staff of DAMEN Pakistan for devising systems and structures for efficient and effective implementation of the development endeavours. Focusing on Micro financing program as a major tool for poverty alleviation and enterprise development leading towards empowerment of women of marginalized communities and organizational sustainability. Changing market structures and shifting the trend from trade and business to enterprise development. Development and strengthening of Management Information System for DAMEN Pakistan
Organizational Objectives: DAMEN Pakistan concentrates on the social and economic uplift of communities, especially in rural areas/urban slums, by encouraging them to ascertain their own needs. This leads to build capacity and local resources to an extent that enables them to eradicate the real and most tangible problems. The emphasis of the Organization therefore is on such programs that:
- Concentrate on activities for integrated, self-reliant and long-term development of the communities through various programs of education and health.
- Enhance the cause of women development by initiating programs for income generation, provision of credit and awareness of their legal and basic rights.
- Train and support human resources for devising, implementing and overseeing development projects and programs.
Operational Areas: DAMEN Pakistan is presently working in 4 districts of Punjab namely:
- Nankana Sahib